As per the IAB 2009 report, the total Internet advertising revenues in US was $22.7 billion in the year 2009, third-quarter of 2009 accounted for $5.5 billion and fourth-quarter of 2009 accounted for $6.3 billion. There was a decrease of 3.4 percent in internet advertising revenues in 2009 when compared to 2008.
- Retail advertising is the largest category of Internet ad spending which was 20 percent of revenues in 2009. It was $4.5 billion in the year 2009. There was decrease of $0.5 billion when compared to 2008.
- 16 percent or $3.6 billion was contributed by telecom companies in 2009. There was a 15 percent increase when compared with 2008 which was $3.5.
- 6 percent of the revenues which is $1.5 billion was accounted by leisure travel like airfare, hotels and resorts. There was just a very slight increase when compared with 2008 which was $1.4 billion.
- 12 percent of revenues which is $2.8 billion was accounted by financial services advertisers in 2009. There was 13 percent decrease when compared to 2008 which was $3.0 billion.
- 11 percent of revenues which is $2.5 billion were accounted by automotive advertisers. There was a 12 percent decrease when compared to 2008 which was $2.8 billion.
- 4 percent of 2009 revenues were accounted by entertainment which was $1.0 billion. There was a slight up when compared with 2008 which was $917 million.