CAD/CAM is an acronym for computer-aided design or computer aided manufacturing. With the invention of the technology the dentist work is reduced as well, the patients need not spend more time. This type of technologies is needed for the humankind as they reduce the wastage of time and money, which is the major issue. In this busy schedule, everyone wanted to finish his or her work quickly. CAD/CAM technology is developed in dentistry for the comfort and convenience for dentists. This technology with E4D dentist system is recently developed.
In dentistry, the CAD/CAM technology helps the patients in having the dental crowns in very less no. of appointments. CAD/CAM technology use E4D dentist system. This machine produces several types of dental restorations like crowns, dental inlays, outlays and veneers, which can be placed in only one appointment.
Preparation of dental restorations with CAD/CAM technology:
At first by using an optical scanner the digital image of the teeth are captured and this 3D custom image of the captured image is displayed on the computer screen. These 3D images are also obtained by teeth impressions obtained through the conventional method. Next, the technician will use CAD software or 3D images to prepare the design of the final restorations. The time taken for designing this depends on the technician’s experience, complexity of case etc.
The final restoration prepared is finally sent to the milling chamber for applying ceramic material. This is then customized in the way that it matches the patient’s natural teeth and finally polished. Now, the dentist will operate it to the patient.
Advantages over traditional method:
- No multiple visits to the dentist for getting the restorations.
- These are stronger than the restorations made with the traditional method.
- These CAD/CAM restorations are less likely to fracture.
- If the dentist of your have this machine then you can get the work done in, few minutes and you do not want to choose traditional methods for getting the restorations.
Other than these benefits, it is having some limitations:
- This technology needs a specially trained and experienced dentist to operate which involves E4D Dentist Chairside CAD/CAM System.
- This is more expensive than other dental treatments.
- Sometimes it may take 2 to 3 visits if the dentist is not having this technology in their office.
- If the patient is given a second appointment then he/she must use the temporary restorations during that period, which are given by the dentists.