Television advertising is most powerful form of advertising traditionally, as it is a combination of audio and video advertising messages with unlimited varieties, unlike other means of advertising like newspapers, magazines, radio stations, and websites. Based on research reports, people spend four and half-hours watching TV as it is most common leisure activity. As a result, many times television is considered as ‘king’ of advertising media as it has so much impact on people. It is also considered as ‘king’ of advertising costs (expensive).
Before a product is advertised, market research is conducted to know the reaction of consumer on the product. Television marketing should follow many strict standards (restrictions). Television advertisements have proved to be successful in election campaign of a politician as they influence the public views. In television advertisement, animated advertisements are very popular (Kellogg’s) and are long running (series of advertisements can be done). According to OECD communications outlook 2001, in US Television advertising shared 37% of total advertising revenue.
Advantages of TV advertising:
- Television advertising enables the product to hit large number of people (at regional and national level) in short span of time.
- Television helps in conveying a message (advertisement) with visuals, sound and action.
- Advertisements can also target local people with independent stations and local cable network channels.
- Different segments of people like children, house wives, young people are targeted by organization through different channels (cartoon) at different timings (time at which many people watch TV).
- They provide flexibility and selectivity options for customers to choose a product offered by many companies.
- Creative television advertisements can easily attract people and makes them to buy products. This is very advantageous for small businesses.
Disadvantages of TV advertising:
- Costs involved in television advertising is very high as it need to be repeated for many times and so it costs more to air advertisements on television channels.
- Television advertisements are short, so they do not convey more about the product.
- Television advertisements are sometimes obscure (mess up), as they do not show relevant information on products.
- If television advertisements are not creative then people do not show interest to see them and do not buy the products.
- Some times television advertisements will be in such a way that people do not believe it, so they do not buy the products.
- It is difficult to modify television advertisements unlike advertisements of print media.
- Producing a television advertisement involves hiring scriptwriters, actors, video editors, or an advertising agency. So, it is a complicated procedure.
Television advertisements have both advantages and disadvantages. When rightly chosen and right presented based on the purpose helps businesses to reach their target customers flawlessly.